Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dressers--Argh!

Lately I've been searching for a dresser that will work for the kids when they share a room. It's not that easy! Here are my requirements: at least 6 drawers, preferably side by side (a longer dresser) so that the kids can reach their clothes easily w/any danger of them pulling the dresser on top of them, and lastly, affordable. Not too much to ask? Hmmm...


This is my ideal dresser. It is from Pottery Barn Kids. Even on "sale" it is just waaaaayyy too much. However, I mainly just like the idea of the dresser, with the colored drawers. So, if I could find an old one and refinish it in a similar fashion, that would be fine too. Again, not too much to ask, right?


The other two I like are from Ikea. (Sorry for the small images.) The first has 8 drawers and is much more affordable than the PB Kids one. The second is cheaper than the first, w/6 drawers. However, the shipping alone on getting it here outweighs its affordability. We've checked The Mart, but I didn't see any that would work and that we could afford.

I've also been scouring the craigslist postings. Dressers seem to be in high demand! I've emailed a couple people on either decent ones, or ones that I can refinish. But, I never seem to catch them quickly enough! I've also checked out the local Thrift America and Goodwill, but, yikes, the ones there are hideous.

So, what I'm asking is this: if you, or anyone you know of, has or knows of a dresser that would "fit the bill" for me, please let me know! Also, if you have any other suggestions on where to look, I'd love them!

4 comments:

Van Ry Clan of Layton Ave said...

Seriously I know how hard this is, why does furniture have to be so expensive? we finally found a dresser on craigslist for the right price when we had Kaylee, good luck with the search!!

Ware Family said...

Furniture is expensive!
I don't know what your budget is, but I checked target.com, and there are quite a few for around $150 or so that match your criteria. I don't know if you have a target nearby, but there's a start!
Also, if you have a jcpenney nearby, they will ship to the store for free. Right now their stuff is quite expensive, but they do have some great furniture sales once in a while so you can keep checking back.
Good luck! I hate buying furniture!

Stephanie said...

We had this problem too when looking for one for us. We actually got the top one from IKEA (in black/brown) and we love it. It's so hard to find a dresser that is affordable and not cheaply made. I would keep trying to find something used that you can refinish. We've found some good deals recently. Sometimes it takes some time looking, although I don't know what it is like there.

If you do want me to make you some onesies and burpcloths I would love to. You can just cover the cost of the supplies. Let me know. Good luck with your hunt for the dresser! Too bad the PBK dresser is so much because it SO cute!

Maria and Ryan said...

we totally had a rough time finding dressers too. for some odd reason, it's hard to find one that works. we ended up with unfinished furniture and painting it. I'm excited to see pictures of yours when you get it all done! It looks like a keeper--i like the lines.