Sunday, July 27, 2008

My brother

My brother, Kyle, called Saturday afternoon and wanted to take me out for lunch! Usually, I see Kyle when we all get together for family stuff, but it's not that often that we get to hang out exclusively. So, I was excited that he had "free" Saturday afternoon and that he wanted to spend it with me, his nerdy big sister!
We went to Sushi Yama (if you like sushi, I highly recommend this place!) and had a nice time catching up a bit. It was fun to hear about all of this "big" plans and all of the happenings that life as a single guy has to offer. Then, we drove over to Shadow Lakes and browsed a bit and he helped me pick out some shorts for Cubby (Kyle has an unusually good fashion sense--we like to tease him about it, but when push comes to shove, he's dead-on with his opinions on what's hot and what's not!).
When we were growing up, Kyle and I had a good relationship, but since we're 5 years apart, our interests were often different. He's always been his own person though. For example, he made his own duct tape pants...and wore them. He got into hockey, snowboarding, and longboarding while all of his friends played soccer and baseball. He used blue glue put spikes in his hair for the first day of school--and his teachers still thought he was a great kid!

Now that we're older, the age gap has closed a bit and we can relate to each other more. He's a lot of fun to be around and is always up for an adventure! Kyle works hard and plays hard and knows who he is and what he wants to accomplish. He grew up a lot while on his mission and even though he has matured, he still knows how to have a good time.

I just wanted to give a shout-out to my dorky little brother...who now is taller and much funnier than I am...thanks for the fun afternoon, Kyle! I love you!

6 comments:

Diana said...

I wish my brothers lived closer so I could have a spur of the moment 'catch-up' day. I'm glad you had such a great time. You're really lucky!

Amber M. said...

I love your new family picture in your sidebar...cute!

What a darling picture of Christian and Kyle.

Albanie said...

So sweet! Brothers are great!

Ware Family said...

I love your new family picture!
And 'seriously,' your blog is not "so blessed!"
It's funny and happy, but also very real.
When we move, we'll be close to my little brother and his new wife (he's getting married in like 2 weeks). I'm really excited to see them more. Sometimes I feel like since I one of the oldest, I don't know the younger siblings as much, so this will be nice.

Cammy Aller said...

Its so funny because Jason just got called to 2nd councler in the Elders Quorum. He has meetings every Sunday. Looks like you guys are having a great summer!

Camie said...

Wow, loved the post. What a special thing for a brother to do. I as well wished my bro's were a little closer in distance.