Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Elementary, Dear Watson

Or should I say "Kindergarten"?! Holy cow. I have a kindergartener. Crazy. Time may change me, but I can't change time. So true, Mr. David Bowe, so true.

This morning I sent my first baby off to her first day of school at Tara Heights Elementary. Cubby took the morning off so he could take her to school and then pick her up (the first day is a 1/2 day here). There was an open house last night and Emily got to meet her teacher (Ms. Wauters) and see her classroom. She was quite excited and said she liked her teacher b/c she had glasses and was very nice.
This morning she got up, got dressed and even ate her breakfast in a timely manner--truly amazing, but I doubt that'll last. Emily picked out her own clothes (a butterfly skirt, a blue shirt w/a butterfly on it and purple Silvermist socks) and was just itching to get going. She, Daddy and Christian all donned umbrellas (as it rained for the first time this month) and walked up the hill to school. And, even though last night she was worried that she'd miss me too much, this morning, she didn't look back (sniff, sniff!).

When Emily got home, she had plently to tell us about all of the new friends (there are 16 kids in her class) and how she even has a "job"--she gets to go around the room and make sure all of the chairs are pushed in. SO perfect for her. There are three other children in her class that she knew so I know it was a relief to have a couple of familiar faces on the first day.
Tonight, as she was getting ready for bed, she told Cubby and I "I just love Tara Heights. It's a dream come true." Welcome to school, Emily! I hope they're ready for you!
(BTW: I posted both pictures b/c I wanted to get both Emily and her backpack (which she picked out herself) but it was a bit rainy and dark and the first picture of her turned out better, even though both are cute.)

6 comments:

Cara said...

What a darling little kindergartener! I'm glad she loved it. :)

Rebecca said...

Yeah, Emily! Keep up the good attitude and have fun learning at Tara Heights.

whitney allison said...

I can't even imagine what its like to send your first one off to school!!! She is a funny girl, that's for sure! Get ready Tara Heights.

Ladybug143 said...

It is hard to believe that our kids are that old. She looks excited though!

The Brough Family said...

Wow... I can't believe Emily is in kindergarten. Awesome! She looks darling, I hope they are ready for her too!

Amber M. said...

Way to go, Emily!! Enjoy Kindergarten...it's all downhill from here...

:-)