Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Love In My Family

Lately, there have been many examples of love shown within our family and I just wanted to make note a few of them that I've noticed. To the reader: this may be a bit sappy...consider yourself warned.

Emily and Cubby have always had one of those great Daddy-Daughter bonds. Tonight, they "made a recipe" together. Actually, Cubby is in-charge of bringing food in tomorrow to work and so he and Emily put the breakfast casserole and monkey bread together tonight. They were dancing and singing to music, Cubby was helping Emily to read and measure out the ingredients, and they were just having such a great time bonding. It was really heart-warming and Emily was just so tickled to be "helping" out so much.

Christian has been so sweet with his kisses and letting Emily give him hugs and kisses (usually he thinks she's trying to tackle him and pushes her away). He and Emily also had a grand-ol' time running around our kitchen-living room loop, roaring like lions (or dragons, or whatever makes those noises). Both got a huge kick out of it and it totally wore them out! Here is a picture of Christian, mid-ROAR!

Finally, Cubby is always showing his love to me (most of the time he's super pesty and thinks that is what I want), but both Monday night and yesterday evening he got it just right.

Sunday night I started to feel a cold coming on...yuck. By Monday at 5:00 I was so tired and didn't even want to heat up left overs for dinner. Cubby came home with pizza and then continued to feed the kids and clean up afterwards while I rested. It was really nice. Not that he doesn't help out and clean up on a very regular basis, but it was just extra special because I was sick and got to rest.

Then, last night, I mentioned to him how good some hot chocolate sounded, not thinking he'd read anything into it; I'm always making comments about stuff that "sounds good" (who doesn't do that?). Next thing I know, he's in the kitchen, and making hot chocolate on the stove, with milk and everything. It was some of the best hot chocolate I've ever had. I just want him to know how much I appreciate all of the "little" things he does--they're not so little to me!

Our family, like many others, has its ups and downs. I just wanted to pause and reflect (and document for future reminders!) some of the ups!

12 comments:

Van Ry Clan of Layton Ave said...

So is Cubby passing on the Kitchen dance party with Emily? That really is so sweet, I always knew Cubby had a softer thoughtful side, hope you feel better soon, I hate having a cold, especially because you can' take a sick day from being a mom

Van Ry Clan of Layton Ave said...

it should say Can't take a sick day from being a mom

Amber M. said...

What a sweet post, Kathleen. And that picture of Cubby and Emily? Perfect.

Ware Family said...

How sweet.
Good for you for documenting the sweet moments.
I know I forget mine all too soon when life's not-so-sweet moments get in the way.
Way to go!

Maylene said...

Oh, those are the best posts! They always remind me why I am so super thankful that I have a little family too. Hot chocolate sounds good...only I always have to pretend that it is freezing outside. Seriously, one of these days we are just going to have to move somewhere a little bit colder.

Camie said...

I think we all would do a little better to recognize some of the 'ups' in our lives. GReat post!

Maren said...

I know what you mean about documenting. Sometimes I think I write things that are too sappy on my blog, then I figure it doesn't matter because it is partly for me. I will probably make my blog into a book to have forever and ever and ever.

I'm not saying your post was sappy, I found it quite uplifting! It makes me feel happy (or Gwen would say "it makes my heart happy") when I know my friends are doing well.

Walker said...

That is such a sweet post. Thanks for sharing!

Albanie said...

I love those paused momeents where you just think to yourself 'THIS is what it's all about!'

Cammy Aller said...

Your kids will always know they are loved so much! What great examples you shared. You have a wonderful,cute family!!

whitney allison said...

Way cute pictures.

Jaimi said...

So that "dorm mother" freshman year must have done some training with our husbands-to-be.....they turned out to be regular sweethearts, eh?! I loved reading those stories - they will mean a lot to your children someday! Get well soon!