Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Please Draw On the Wall!

A couple of months ago, I decided that it would be a great idea to paint an entire wall in black chalkboard paint.  Now, I've had a lot of "big" ideas, but more often than not, I end up changing my mind for something else.  Our kitchen, for instance.  I've gone from wanting to tear down a wall (the one that's now a chalkboard), to wanting to tear half of the wall down and add a breakfast bar, to now, wanting to tear it all down again...after we get sick of the chalkboard.  But, I digress.  Back to the chalkboard wall!  I bought the paint and had good intentions of painting it sooner, but, life happens and I got busy with other things!  Well, about mid week last week, I got the paint out to do a smaller chalkboard that I had for the kitchen, and then decided that while the little girls were napping...and since the paint was already out...I'd might as well just do the whole wall! I was brave, yes indeed.  

Soooo...The big kids came home from school and immediately, knew I'd done something.  (Perhaps the paint smell tipped them off?)  They were thrilled, even though I'd only got two coats done.  (It needed three, which I finished up a day or two later.)  Cubby came home, went about his normal routine of opening the mail, saying hi to the kids and, 10 minutes later, walked about the corner to the dining room and said, "Whoa...what did you do?"  My mom's reaction?  "Wow, that is a really black wall!"  Hmmm....not the most encouraging words.  But, once it was all done, Cubby said that the wall looks really cool (and, it does).  And, the kids LOVE it.  I mean, how often do you get to hear your mom say, "Kids, why don't you go draw on the walls for a while?" 
 I still need to get a big, overall picture of the wall(s).  (It goes over a doorway so it's on both sides, encompassing the whole south wall in our dining room.)  But, it's been a really fun thing to have in our house!  I mean, kids naturally make messes, why not encourage one once and a while?

No comments: