Friday, January 23, 2015

Em's TEN!

It's hard to believe that we have a 10 yr. old in our midst!  I remember Emily turning five like it was yesterday--where did the last five years go??

As we embark upon the tween years, I must say that it wasn't by accident that Emily is my oldest.  She is "first born" in every sense of the phrase.  She is driven, creative, commanding, nurturing, energetic, and yes, just beautiful.  Emily is a t-shirt and jeans girl (which, I admit, is what I usually go for, but I'm still constantly trying to get her to broaden her fashion horizons).  She is a wonderful big sister and the little girls can hardly wait each day when Emily gets home from school.  She always has some fun game to play and genuinely enjoys playing with her younger sisters.  Though we have our emotional challenging moments, there have been so many days and evenings that I am deeply grateful for Emily's willingness to help.  Whether it's being a peacemaker, playing, or reading a sibling a story, when push comes to shove, I can almost always count on my Emily.
Such a sweet picture of Ju Ju and Britta
Grandma and Grandpa had to leave on the morning of Emily's birthday, so we snapped a few photos before having to wave a tearful good-bye.


 We were so grateful to have Cubby's parents in town for such an important and fun-filled weekend.  Their constant love and support means so much to our family.


Later that evening, Grandma Karen and Grandpa Harvey came over and it was present time!  Emily opened up Kari's gift first.  It was a pillow and that Kari (and I) had made!  It was so cute and it was all Kari's idea.  Felt flower appliques sewed onto fabric that we then turned into a pillow.  Kari was beyond excited to give it to her and Emily loved it.





Next up, Christian's gift.  Now, I knew that once Christian knew that Kari had made a gift, that he would want in on the action.  Enter Pintrest.  Christian made Emily a very cute (albeit long) scarf!  Emily was very touched that her brother and sister made her such thoughtful gifts.

For Juliana's gift, I was out of creative steam (and time)!  So, Ju Ju gave Emily a couple of movies that she'd wanted.  Emily rewarded Juliana with a sisterly hug and, presto!, love abounded.



Cubby and I's big gift to her was a sewing machine!  She has loved using it, making little Christmas gifts and mending Barbie clothes.

 Ah, the big surprise of the night came when she opened up her new Kindle fire from Gma and Gpa!  Boy, was she excited!  Cubby and I were worried that it would cause too many problems, and, while it has caused a few, Emily has been extremely generous with her new "toy."  It also makes for a great bargaining tool ;)!
 So, I'm pretty sure Emily had a wonderful tenth birthday!  We love you, Emily!

No comments: