Thursday, June 5, 2008

A "Jonah" Day

Well, I think my previous post about Peanut must've jinxed him or something. This morning when we opened up the gate to let him outside, he couldn't get up. He just layed there, shaking. It was really scary; he couldn't get down the deck stairs or even stand up. The night before, we'd gone for a walk and he'd been just fine--pulling on his leash the entire time, as usual! He was fine when he'd gone to bed as well.

So, we took him into the vet's office where they gave him some medication (anti-inflamatories) and he rested all day. When he came home, he was very happy to be home and he was able to walk again, although he's not allowed to do stairs and is still being very cautious.

The doctors think that this development is unrelated to his heart condition. They think that it may be a pinched nerve or some sort of a mini-stroke in his spine. He's always had a funny way with his hips--ever since he was a puppy he'd hop down the stairs with his back legs and he's never liked the kids getting too close to them. In any case, we're going to be watching him for the next few days and hope he keeps improving like he did today.

In the meantime, I get to try and carry him up and down the deck stairs tomorrow so that he can go to the bathroom. This should be funny since he weighs almost 60 pounds and likes to wiggle around. I just hope I don't drop him or anything like that. At least tomorrow's Friday and Cubby will be around to do it this weekend. Poor little puppy--we sure love him!

3 comments:

Tonia said...

ooo...sad i hope he gets better soon!

Albanie said...

Poor guy! I know what you mean about carrying them around. It must've been pretty funny seeing me carry Tiyese, but I didn't pretty often because of muddy paws. Anyway, I hope he gets better!

The Brough Family said...

I sure hope he's doing better!