Sunday, September 14, 2008

My First 5k!

Have you ever overcome a fear? Well, yesterday, I did! I ran in my first 5k and, according to my mom and my friend, Amber (who ran with me), I did it in a decent time. (They may be a little biased though.) It was very liberating! So, how, you ask, did I overcome a fear? Here's the story:

Since I was in elementary school, I have had this fear of running. Every time the "mile run" in gym class would come up, I'd literally make myself sick with worry and self doubt. It just seemed so long! Four whole laps--there was no way I could do it. The knots would form in my stomach and, up until it was at least 1/2 way over, I'd be so miserable. I'm pretty sure that my fear of running long distances (or for long periods of time) kept me from wanting to play soccer as a kid too.

Then, after Emily was born, I had 30 lbs to lose and not a whole lot of "free" time to work out. I was still working at Creighton and what precious little time I had, I wanted to spend it with my baby! So, I had to find a work out that was both quick and effective. Enter running. Granted, I did (and still do) most all of my running on a treadmill, but, it worked. I had to stop while I was super pregnant with Christian, and then, I had to do it only sporadically due to nursing until about 4 months ago. And, now that I'm only nursing twice-a-day, I'm able to run more frequently.

Once I knew I could run 3 miles on a treadmill, the next step was to move it to the great outdoors. It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped, but, it was definitely a "fun" experience to have! Trying to draw in a decent breath despite the humidity was probably the biggest challenge. I'm definitely NOT a distance runner! Amber was a terrific coach though and encouraged me to keep going the whole time. What really helped was at the turn-around point when she said, "Okay, less than a mile to go!" (Sweet words to hear!) She left me in the dust the last 100 yards or so, but otherwise, I kept up :-)....thanks for sticking with me, Amber! There's another race at the end of October...who's with me???

15 comments:

Maylene said...

Congratulations! I totally get that it is so hard to squeeze in time to workout of any kind with kids. I run too (on a treadmill) and I always call it quits either 2-3 miles into it :) Oh well, I guess it gives me the extra energy I need to make it through each day so that is why I do it...oh and so I can eat all the yummy stuff that I am so tempted by!

Diana said...

Congrats! I have yet to run in an official race even though I'm sure I've covered that distance on my own running workouts. It's one of my goals eventually when I get some time. You are my inspiration!

Cara said...

Good job! I just started running (on a treadmill of course), now that I have three at school in the mornings and the baby naps during it. It's been nice! Maybe one day I'll join you. :)

Ware Family said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I wish you lived near me, maybe you could give me some motivation.

Walker said...

Good job, Kathleen! Wow, I had no idea that you were going to do a 5K. That is such a great accomplishment, one day I hope to do the same. Thanks for being so inspiring.

Albanie said...

Great job! I bet you felt great afterwards!

whitney allison said...

Way to go! I have the same fear! Only difference is I have yet to overcome it. I just hate to run so much. Help me.

Cammy Aller said...

Way to GO!! I need to work on my endurance skills. Congrats on a great accomplishment! Glad to see Emily liking pre school!

Tonia said...

Kudos to you Kathleen! That is an awesome accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo proud of you - sounds like we have a similar history of running - I copped out due to asthma as a kid but secretly wanted to be able to run. Wish I had persevered a decade ago! I love it, too! My first 10K stunk and I've kind of been afraid to do another race but a 5K does sound like fun - sign me up if we're still here in October (probably will be)! xoxoxoxo Lizabeth www.sparkbark.com

Jenn said...

Way to go Kathleen!

Rachel said...

Way to go!! You almost motivated me for October:)

The Brough Family said...

Way to go... Glad you did it and overcame your fear. I could learn a lot from your example.

Ladybug143 said...

Awesome! I can safely say that will never be something I do. I hate running. I am so glad you were able to do it!

Maren said...

You're made of tougher stuff than me. I have always thought that PE teachers hate children and that's why they make them run. Not really, I just really dislike running. I get so bored and think, "Why am I running? No large animals or scary hoodlums are chasing me."