Saturday, October 3, 2009

Emily's First Road Race!

Today Emily ran in her first road race! It was very exciting! In September, I had seen a flyer at the YMCA for the "Race for the Kids" run downtown in the Conagra Foods Plaza. They had different heats for the different age groups--preschool up through 6th grade. A parent had to run if a preschooler was running, and, since I'm not really able to run much these days, I thought it would be a fun thing for Emily and Cubby to do together!

For preschoolers through 2nd grade, the race is just a 1/2 mile so I knew it would not only be something Emily would be able to do, but she'd enjoy as well. I really want to start her running early so that she learns that it's fun and not something to be scared of (like I was for so long!).

It went fantastic! They had all kinds of activities for the kids to do both before and after the race. There were also many local mascots present (and they even ran their own 50 yard dash race, which Christian really enjoyed since one of the mascots was a big green dinosaur).


After Emily and Cubby got their racing numbers...


It was time for "warm ups"...

Christian got cozy....


As Cubby and Emily got ready to run!



Here is a video of them finishing. (Yes, I realize it's sideways...I didn't realize that you couldn't rotate the video like you can a picture! Ugh! Still, it's pretty cute.)

And, here are the big racers!! Emily was so happy with her ribbon! Way to go, Emily! We're so proud of you!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That looks like so much fun. Way to go Emily!!

Amber M. said...

Fabulous, Emily!

Cara said...

How fun! What a great family activity! We'll have to look into doing something like that. The video is so cute! She looks so happy! :)

Maylene said...

That is so cool! I didn't know they even had stuff like that for kids her age. I couldn't agree more...it's great to help kids see that running is kind of fun.

♥Haze♥ said...

Good Job Emily....That is awesome that your getting her started....totally understand the fear of running....I'm working on getting over that fear myself...it's a slow process for me, but I'm plugging away at it.