Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Two Ideas

Idea #1:

Still looking for something to do with all of those apples from this fall?? My sister-in-law, Sara, posted this Apple Bundt recipe on her blog. I decided to try it and it is so yummy! Thanks, Sara!

Ingredients
4 medium apples; cored, peeled, and cut into bite-size pieces
5 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange(I omitted this)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
powdered sugar

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil and flour 12 cup bundt pan. Mix apple pieces, 5 tablesoons sugar and ground cinnamon in medium bowl. Combine 2 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla extract in a bowl. Whisk to blend. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt in egg mixture. Spoon 1 1/2 cups batter in prepared bundt pan top with half apple mixture. Cover with 1 1/2 cup batter top with remaining apples then batter.

Bake cake until top is brown and tester insert near center comes out with moist crumbs attatched; about 1 hr 30 min. Cool cake in pan on rack 15 minutes. Run knife around sides to loosen pan. Turn cake out on top of rack. Cool at least 45 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar serve slightly warm or at room temp.


Idea #2:

Do you have a family member who is difficult to "shop" for at Christmastime? My friend, Rosie, asked me to email her pictures of something I have hanging in my hallway because she has such a family member.

As you can see, it is a four-generation type of a picture: myself, my mom, my grandma, and my great-grandma, all at about the same age. The second, obviously, is Cubby's line. The one of me was part of a wedding gift. The one of Cubby was one I had made for his birthday. I couldn't get it exactly like the first because Hobby Lobby, where I had it made, doesn't have an engraving machine like the one where mine was made. Hence, they send out their engravings in plaque form. It still turned out great though. (You can click on the image for a close up view on the engravings and such.)

I just figured that since one person thought it was a neat idea, maybe someone else would like it and want to put something similar together for a special loved one!

7 comments:

Amber M. said...

Two very AWESOME ideas...I love the 4 generation pictures. Seriously cool.

Diana said...

I wish I could share in the apple yumminess with you.

Cool pictures! I love Hobby Lobby, by the way. I really miss living near one especially since I grew up with Hobby Lobbys all around us. (The chain started in Oklahoma.)

Van Ry Clan of Layton Ave said...

I noticed that in the picture of the Lindseths most of them are smiling the same way or in Dad's case not smiling at all, that is a great idea for a present and I'm glad you liked that apple cake

Jenn said...

Great ideas. Just in time for Christmas.

whitney allison said...

Well, maybe I'll have to try that cake after reading two great reveiws.

Lacey said...

Great idea for those who are hard to buy for. It seems like we always draw someone for Christmas that fits that "hard to buy for" category. I might have to use your idea.

Anonymous said...

love love love this one! Thx for the great idea. xoxo Lizabeth