Friday, March 20, 2009

Well, it's FINALLY happened

Today was the first time that I've put Christian down for a nap without nursing him. Yes, he's almost two and still nursing! I really thought I'd have been done a year ago, but, once he turned one, nursing suddenly got very easy and took up a LOT less time than before. Plus, it was such a sweet time for snuggling and such. Comfort nursing is soooo much nicer than nursing for nutrition! We were both happy, so, I kept going. And, in my defense as well, the American Academy of Pediatrics does recommend nursing for the first two years :-).

However, lately, my body has just felt tired of it and since he's only nursing twice a day (nap and bedtimes) for 5-10 min, I felt he was ready too. He wasn't too happy about going down, but he only cried for about 10 min and then went to sleep! (He was always awake when I'd put him down anyhow, so putting himself to sleep wasn't an issue, thank goodness.) Granted, it was a tough 10 min for me, but, I didn't want to go in there and then he'd be really confused the next time we tried it.

Now, I'm just trying to decide whether or not to just drop the naptime nursing and keep the bedtime one, or just quit cold turkey all together. We'll see how he does this afternoon and then I guess I'll decide.

So, there you have it. For those of my friends and family out there who doubted that I had it in me to finally wean him all together, this one's for you!

3 comments:

Amber M. said...

Way to go, Lady...(and Christian, too!)

Maylene said...

Oh, you must have the patience of a saint! There is no way I could have nursed any of my kids that long. I agree though, I bet it is so nice to have the cuddle time. I totally miss out on that.

Camie said...

I am going through the weaning process as well...at one year! Hope it goes as good for Livvy and I as it is for you and Christian.