Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Zumba Therapy

This pregnancy brought about the need for a new form of exercise.  It started to get cold in October and that's about the time that it got too uncomfortable for me to keep running (plus the fatigue of running at 6 a.m. was wearing on me!).  So, I tried out out local YMCA's Zumba class.  Talk about a good decision!

For anyone not yet brave enough to try it out, please find a good instructor (it makes ALL the difference in the world) and go to a couple of classes!  (I say a couple b/c it sometimes takes a few times before you start to "get" the moves and it stops being mentally hard and starts being more physically challenging...and a LOT of fun!)

So, since October I've been going to Zumba class 3-4 times per week.  It helps that class is held while the kids are in school and Kari can go to either Toddler Art or Tottercise classes that she really enjoys (or early Saturday morning before anything gets going at home).  There are quite a few gals from my ward, neighbors, and other friends in the class and we all enjoy shaking what our Mama's gave us!

Our instructor, Jennifer (black pants, blue jacket), is amazing.  She is also expecting and it has been great to Zumba together while our bellies (and other parts of our bodies) expand!  Jennifer also teaches Body Pump (which, up until last week, I did once a week).  Let me just say that to be able to teach/talk through both BP and Zumba (back to back on Saturday mornings) while pregnant is no easy task and she continues to amaze me!  Her craziness, intensity, and fun music packs the class and makes everyone want to come back for more!  To say that I'm saddened by the fact that she's moving this summer (just after having her baby!) is an understatement.  We'll all miss Jennifer!

I'll finish up by saying that Zumba has not only kept me physically active throughout this pregnancy, it gives me such a mental release as well.  The days I get to go to class seem to go smoother and I know I'm a happier mommy when I'm done!  As of today, I've got two classes left before my induction Monday night.  Needless to say, I'll be thrilled not to be pregnant anymore (yes, I've reached that point!), but missing "my" class for the next 6 weeks will be tough!  Am I slightly ridiculous or what?!  Ha!

2 comments:

Ware Family said...

Not at all ridiculous! I swear I have two different personalities. I'm Dr. Jekyll if I do work out, and Mr. Hyde if I don't. It makes a huge difference. I will pray that you keep sane while recovering from your delivery so you can get back to it asap!

Lori said...

Not ridiculous at all. I will cry when Jen leaves. Seriously...that woman has skills!! I am going to swipe this picture though.Look at all us fabulous girls!! You are a tough girl to keep up with, my friend. You seem to have the energy of the Energizer Bunny!!