Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Queen (Grand) Mother

I'm terrible about keeping a real joural (I'm working on starting up again). One of the reasons I started blogging was to record thoughts and events and such that otherwise, would go unwritten and thus, forgotten. This post is dedicated to my mom--one of the sweetest and most generous and loving people ever to have walked the face of this earth.

My mom is always willing to help. Whether she hears the panic or exhaustion in my voice and leaves early from work to relieve me during a tough day, or if I just need her organizational expertise in tackling Emily's closet and dressers full of clothes, she's there to help. (And organizing is her true medium as an artist!)


My mom also shares in my joys. Yesterday, Christian took a 2 hr and 10 min nap. Those of you who have children that do this on a regular basis may be thinking, big deal, right? Well, for Christian that is double the time of his normal naps. I told my mom this and she yelled with delight and jumped up and down with me. She understood how great that was for me and really helped me to enjoy it even more!



Finally, my mom LOVES her grandkids. (To be fair, this is a very common thing for almost any grandparent though, right?) However, unlike other grandparents who are happy to sit and just watch the kids play, my mom plays.....and plays and plays. She is Emily's favorite person (Cubby and myself come in second and third) and Christian just lights up when he hears her voice. She finds true joy in being around her grandchildren and teaches me how to "play better" whenever she's around.

There are so many more things that I could write about this incredible woman that I've somehow lucked out enough to be able to call her "Mom". I'm just so grateful for all that she is and all that she does. I hope I can someday become the mother that she always has been, and continues to be, to me. I love you, Mom!

8 comments:

Diana said...

Your mom is adorable! No wonder you turned out so adorable too!

The Brough Family said...

ARen't moms wonderful, I'm jealous you get to be so close to yours. I agree that your mom is wonderful, I really enjoyed getting to know her through Visiting teaching and Young Women's.

Albanie said...

I've noticed that your mom really does PLAY. Like no sitting around for her. She's great! No wonder why the kiddos love her so much.

Ladybug143 said...

You are so lucky! I am so glad that you know what a wonderful mom you have. I wish I could have that with my mom. I have the next best thing, an amazing dad. He plays with and adores the grandkids too.

Walker said...

You mother is a wonderful person, grandmother, and mother. She is one of the sweetest people that I know. It is nice having mother's around,I have to agree.

Camie said...

You are so lucky...what a great woman to have in your life. Especially that you get to share your life with her on a daily basis.

Tonia Marie said...

Your mom is so darling! You can totally tell how much she loves her grandchildren!

Ware Family said...

Wow, your mom sounds so awesome!!!
So nice to have her close.