Monday, March 10, 2008

The Silver Lining



Well, I know I whine a lot about my kids' sleeping habits. Everyone is probably like, "Enough! Get tough!" I first need to point out the silver linings in the midst of this challenge:

1) It is convenient to be able to be out and about in the mornings and have Christian fall asleep in his car seat rather than have to be in his crib to sleep. (Emily would only sleep in her crib and it was very difficult to go anywhere or plan anything during naptime.)

2) It has given Cubby and Christian some time to "bond" (well, this is a stretch since he bond just fine, but the cuddling and sleeping is sweet.)

Okay, those are the positive things that have come out of his sleeping habits. However, I've discussed things with Cubby (as this will have to be a group effort) and since he has next Friday off, we will have Christian learn to fall asleep on his own then. In all fairness, you really need a good 3-4 days (maybe more) of doing nothing and devoting all of your efforts to this. And, since Christian is the second child, it's tough to do "nothing" all day for multiple days when you have an active 3 yr old. So, he will be able to keep Emily busy and they may even sleep over at Grandma's house so they won't have to hear Christian at night. (As I've said before, and I just can't overstate it enough, you don't want to purposely wake up Emily in the middle of the night.)
So, that's the game plan. Until then, I'll keep trying to put him down or he'll just end up in his car seat to save my sanity for one more week! Thanks' to all for the advice and support....I may just need some more next week though..and then hopefully I'll just quit whining about it, eh?

8 comments:

Amber M. said...

We're here for you, Kathleen!

Camie said...

Good luck Kathleen...you get it all figured out and then in a few weeks when its my turn to start the sleeping thing I will be coming to you!

Albanie said...

yep, good luck! Hope it all works out!

The Brough Family said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Good luck... we'll all be routing for you!

Walker said...

It will all work out in the end, you'll see. GOOD LUCK!

Lacey said...

Just keep reminding yourself that it is a small sacrifice for now with huge rewards later. And trust me, the rewards are HUGE!

Maylene said...

Hopefully he figures out the sleeping thing in his crib. I know sleep is a huge deal for me and I always want my kids to get lots of it (so I can have some time to myself!) Sophie hates to take naps in her crib but she is getting better at just playing in it for awhile until she falls asleep.

Kathleen said...

thanks, everyone! you can count on me letting everyone know how it went :-)...i may even be calling some of you while he's crying for moral support so please don't intentionally be gone next weekend!